Have you ever heard of madeleine cakes before? They actually originate from France and look like shells. Well, in Malaysia, the madeleine varies a lot and it is also known as "kek permaisuri" here. They're not really a whole cake, but rather petite cakes, which you can serve during tea-time or festivities. My aunt always does these delicious cakes, and a few weeks ago, Ummi (my mom) tried out to bake madeleines for the first time.
* 250 gm self-raising flour
* 250 gm butter
* 250 gm sugar
* 250 gm eggs (approx. 4-5 eggs)
* 1 tsp vanilla essence
* strawberry jam
* desiccated coconut
* red cherries (chopped)
1. Mix butter and sugar until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
2. Add in the eggs slowly and keep stirring. After that, add in vanilla essence.
3. Then add the flour bit by bit. Keep mixing until all ingredients are blended together.
4. Grease a 12-hole muffin tin with butter and put in the cake mixture until ¾ full into each hole.
5. Put the muffin tins in a preheated oven of 180°C and let them cook for 15 minutes or until golden.
6. After the cakes have cooled down, spread the strawberry jam on the top and then dab the top in a plate of desiccated coconut.
7. Lastly, put the cherries as a finishing touch.
It's really a simple recipe to make. Plus, the madeleines are delicious and are pretty too. ^_^ Enjoy baking them, hihi~..
Thanks for reading & happy blogging~!!